Re: redhat-config-printer and PPD files

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 12:56:43PM -0500, Brent Fox wrote:

> What I'd like to have is a module that I could plug into firstboot that
> says that a printer has been detected and configured.  That would
> require us writing some code.  If CUPS can get all the detection right
> without having user intervention, the the GUI would just involve the
> notifying that a printer has been detected and then asking them which
> printer they want as the default.

The detection is done by either kudzu or redhat-config-printer, and
CUPS just does what it is told.  Using the foomatic XML database
redhat-config-printer can figure out which driver to use and goes
ahead to create the queue.

It could well be that it knows a printer is there but foomatic comes
up empty -- in that case a GUI screen could ask for details.  It would
be nice in this case to have a mechanism for the user to give us the
details we would need to automatically set up a queue for that model
in future, but that might be a bit ambitious.

> > In the mean time, I could just add support for vendor PPDs in
> > redhat-config-printer by just bypassing alchemist altogether, in a
> > similar way to how it enables/disables cups-lpd (the tick-box just
> > runs chkconfig).  Good idea?
>
> Sounds good to me.

Any ideas for what it should look like in terms of widgets?

Tim.
*/