Re: network-functions: mild annoyance, trivial patch?

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 02:52, Mike Avery wrote:
> Paul Bolle wrote:
> >Or would this trivial patch just hide a more serious problem?
>
> I believe it would.  It is the administrator's job to adjust these
> permissions if he/she wants to allow non privileged users to control
> hardware.   A silent denial would hide the remedy to this problem IMO.
>
> There may be another problem here though...  You mentioned that this
> error occurs when using the GUI.  You should be prompted by
> consolehelher for the root password before the GUI is presented.  I
> assume here that you are invoking redhat-config-network.
>
> Is this the case?
>
> Mike Avery

No.

I'm using redhat-control-network for GUI (but mostly I'm typing
/sbin/ifup eth0 etc. on the command line). PLease note that I've checked
"Allow all users to enable and disable the device" in
redhat-config-network, which probably gave me a "USERCTL=yes" line in
.../network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

Paul Bolle