Re: Fedora 37 wallpaper voting is coming soon - read to get access to voting

On 4/6/22 5:22 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
Hi everyone!

We've been using LimeSurvey for a while to do the default Fedora wallpaper / background inspiration vote each release. LimeSurvey is overly complicated, has a confusing UI, and is generally not amazing, despite being open source.
Long live PHP!

I've been looking at some alternatives to make this whole thing easier, with the requirement that the tool be open source. We already have a Discourse (it is open source) deployment at discussions.fedoraproject.org <http://discussions.fedoraproject.org>, so, I took a look at the Discourse polling feature and it seems like it will meet our requirements nicely:
There are a number of possible plugins:
https://github.com/gdpelican/retort
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/tree/main/plugins/poll
https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-elections

Discourse is great for general discussion, but less well suited to planning and decision making. Furthermore, voting options seem less than are available in Loomio (Time Poll, Check Poll, Ranked Choice Poll, Poll standard, Score poll and Dot vote are available with Ranked choice poll, score poll and dot vote being better options than are available in Discourse):
https://www.loomio.com/product

- It has visually-based polling so we can put pictures next to each option if needed for the vote instead of making people click through elsewhere
- It lets us limit the vote to members of specific discourse groups
- It's pretty simple and seems less prone to error than limesurvey

So we are looking at potentially using it for the F37 vote.
If the decision to use Discourse has been made, will the votes be public? They are likely visible to the administrator. If not, might there be interest in trying Loomio - can run a temporary instance.

One could also develop a Discourse plugin with the desired functionality.

Where you come in :

We currently have 81 members in the designteam group in the Fedora Accounts System (FAS): https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/group/designteam/ <https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/group/designteam/>

Since Discourse doesn't sync up with FAS, I had to manually add everyone from the FAS group into the new Discourse design team group, which gives us 25 members: https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/g/design <https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/g/design>

I know 99% of the folks who are in the designteam group in FAS and I believe the majority have not been active in years (I recognize many as past interns from various programs.) I contacted everyone I knew to still be active and most at this point have logging into discussions.fpo to get their account set up and have been added to the discourse group.

For the rest of the 81 - 25 folks not in the group.... I might do a mass email blast. Usually we email everyone each release and have them click on a "remove me" link if they don't want to be listed anymore. I think since we've done that for a couple years now, what we might want to do this time is have a "keep me" link and if they don't click it they get removed. To be honest, the penalty is quite low if we accidentally remove someone - it doesn't delete their FAS account or anything just their group membership, and that takes 5 seconds to reinstate if they missed the emails or whatever.

So if you would like to make sure you have the ability to vote in the Fedora 37 wallpaper vote and are in the FAS group at https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/group/designteam/ <https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/group/designteam/> but not in the Discourse group at https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/g/design <https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/g/design> - please log in at https://discussions.fedoraproject.org <https://discussions.fedoraproject.org> with your Fedora / FAS account, then send me an email or ping me in matrix (https://matrix.to/#/#design:fedoraproject.org <https://matrix.to/#/#design:fedoraproject.org>) and I can add you to the discourse group.

Thanks for reading :)

Le meas,
~m