Re: new designer

Hi Ashlyn!
Ar 7/30/20 6:19 AM, scríobh Ashlyn Knox:
My name is Ashlyn Knox, I'm a fedora user of about 5 years now and I'm currently taking next steps by reaching out to become an active member of the fedora community. I am excited to learn more about the work that the design team is doing and hopefully be able to work on design projects as well. I've always been a fan of fedora's aesthetic and design sensibilities.

Wow, this is fantastic to hear, glad to hear from another long-time user interested in design!!
Over the past 3 years I have done a variety of freelance design jobs including event advertisements, logo design, web design, document layouts, and image editing. I work in inkscape, gimp, and scribus.
Fabulous! It sounds like you have some great experience to succeed on our team!

Right now our major effort is getting two release wallpapers out at the same time, for Fedora 33 and Fedora 34. We have our inspiration for each set out:

Fedora 33:
Walter Lincoln Hawkins
An American chemist and engineer widely regarded as a pioneer of polymer chemistry. For thirty-four years he worked at Bell Laboratories, where he was instrumental in designing long-lasting plastic to sheath telephone cables, enabling the introduction of telephone services to thousands of Americans, especially those in rural communities.

Fedora 34:
Ub Iwerks

In 1933, former Walt Disney Studios animator/director Ub Iwerks invented the first multiplane camera using movable layers of flat artwork in front of a horizontal camera using parts from an old Chevrolet automobile.[2] His multiplane camera was used in a number of the Iwerks Studio's Willie Whopper and Comicolor cartoons of the mid-1930s.

You are most welcome to join either/both of those efforts. Right now, with our inspiration set for each release, we're in the messy early brainstorming stage to try to figure out effective visuals for each design, so as many folks as possible contributing ideas, sketches, concepts is ideal right now. Here are the tickets where that work is just beginning:

Fedora 33: https://pagure.io/design/issue/687

 Fedora 34: https://pagure.io/design/issue/688

We are also going to have an online live hackfest sessions for working on these designs the weekend of Aug 7-8-9, most likely on the Saturday or the Sunday. We don't have a time block scheduled yet. It's part of the Fedora Flock Nest conference (flocktofedora.org.) When we get a date/time I'll be mailing this list with the details and I hope to see you there :)

Cheers,
~m