Re: Vote by Monday: Fedora 33 and 34 Wallpaper Artwork Inspiration

On 7/15/20 8:17 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
Hi everyone,

For a few releases now we've talked about doing two release artwork designs at once so we can get a release ahead with the artwork. This will help across Fedora development because from the start there will be visual distinction between the most current release and the one under active development.

I would like to do that double-design now. I have created ticket for the Fedora 33 and Fedora 34 wallpapers as well as votes for the artwork inspiration:

Fedora 33 ("H"):
https://pagure.io/design/issue/687
Vote: https://linkto.run/p/7MLA59DE (expires Monday, use @fedoraproject.org email or FAS-registered email)

Fedora 34 ("I"):
https://pagure.io/design/issue/688
Vote: https://linkto.run/p/K50V8KZ4 (expires Monday, use @fedoraproject.org email or FAS-registered email)
The initial beta design for Fedora 33 is due August 18. I would like to see an initial beta design for Fedora 34 by August 31 (at which point F33's wallpaper for beta should be packaged and done so as to not add stress.)

If you do not yet have a Fedora Account and would like to vote, please email me before voting.

Since I know we have a few new contributors these days, I want to go over our wallpaper design process and call out a good example for you to see it in action:

1. Inspiration Selection

For the past several releases, we have chosen an inspiration for the wallpaper based on a famous scientist, inventor, and/or mathematician. We use the letters of the alphabet to do this. We started with Archimedes, then Bell, all the way to Fedora 32 which was Erving Goffman. Fedora 33 will be inspired by a scientist, inventor, or mathematician whose family name begins with "H," and Fedora 34 will be a different person of those categories with a family name starting with "I."

I did a bit of research and picked four choices for each 33 and 34 - they are posted in the tickets above. I would like us to make our choices relatively quickly, so I am setting the polls to expire on Monday. Please get your votes in ASAP. :) You will need to use your @fedoraproject.org email address to vote. If you do not have one, use the email associated with your Fedora Account System account (accounts.fedoraproject.org.)

2. Brainstorming / Mood Boards

Once we have an inspiration selected for each release, we can start talking about visual ideas and create mood boards. This is a bit of a chaotic process but we basically come up with sketches or visuals and  post to the ticket and go back and forth until we congregate around a single idea and we keep developing it. Take a look at the ticket for F32's artwork to see how this might typically go:

https://pagure.io/design/issue/669

3. Prepping for Beta

This is what we have to do by Aug 18 - basically get that wallpaper idea polished enough for shipment into beta. Ideally we'd have 4 versions of it, with different colors, for the Fedora time of day wallpaper feature. Here is an example: https://www.thetestspecimen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/fedora-29-dawn-day-dusk-night.jpg

We also have four size formats for the wallpaper typically:
- Normalish 3840 x 3072 (5:4)
- Standard 4096 x 3072 (4:3)
- TV-Wide 4200 x 2363 (16:9)
- Wide 4200 x 2625 (16:10)

Then we package the files for beta and get feedback on it.

4. Feedback & finalization

Once the wallpaper is in beta, we may have tickets filed or hear from beta testers about it. We also ask around to see how people feel about it. We may find out there are some issues we can address before final, which we do, then repackage it up and it's done.

Cheers,
~m

Seems we are missing 張衡 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_Heng) whose poetry would undoubtedly inspire great art:

In Taishan stays my dear sweetheart,