Meeting Summary & new open ticket for a newbie!

Hi folks,

We had a design team meeting today. We talked about the F28 wallpaper
(see https://pagure.io/design/issue/566) , some concerns about Mindshare
/ Ambassadors swag designs, and a little ticket triage.

We have two new open tickets that have been triaged and are ready for
you to pick up :) One is particularly good for a newbie to pick up, so
if you're looking for a task to work on it's a good place to start:

- Find and destroy old, outdated, bad swag and marketing collateral from
the wiki
https://pagure.io/design/issue/583

-Let's bring back pandas! (sticker sheet request)
[newbie] https://pagure.io/design/issue/579

I've attached the meeting log from Riot because for some reason meetbot
didn't work.

Cheers!

~m

#startmeeting design-team
mleonova (IRC)
hi ;) np
so I heard!
sadin (IRC)
oh thats right my friends up that way were going on about snow

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
yeh luckily the HS is closed so my babysitter had the day off to watch my kiddos :)
mleonova (IRC)
=)

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
ok
#topic f28 wallpaper
this is our biggest deliverable right now
i think we only have a couple weeks or so to refine
i blogged on planet fedora a hi res render of the latest, gotten a lot of positive feedback
mleonova (IRC)
yeah!
but I think it's going pretty well

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
the main suggestion i got for iterating is trying to make the infinity symbol a different length of strand than the f symbol
sadin (IRC)
Been tweaking some of the blender files on my workstation at home

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
i haven't had time yet to play with that (im not 100% sure how to do it)
Ssadin: any luck with it?
sadin (IRC)
Made changes to angles and the particles
just need to post them to pagure

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
Ssadin: awesome id love to see it
this is why im kind of excited about using blender,
i think it enables more participation, it's less work to hack on a file that's been set up i think
all right, any thing else to discuss re: wallpaper or are we good?
sadin (IRC)
unfortunately im in the office, and my workstation is at home so ill get those posted at the end of the day :)
kathryng (IRC) joined the room.

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
Ssadin: sounds good
sadin (IRC)
mizmo I love it, and I setup a small render farm at home with my Xeon server so its pretty quick
mizmo anything specific were looking for with it?

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
nope, just make it as nice as possible for F28 final :)
has anyone heard feedback on the beta wallpaper?
sadin (IRC)
You mentioned the "F" being different?

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
i heard a couple of very positive comments
mleonova (IRC)
that's great!
sadin (IRC)
forgive me but, which specifically is the beta wallpaper?

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
Ssadin: it's an earlier version of the blender file you've been working on
sadin (IRC)
mizmo: got it I havent heard anything personally

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
Ssadin: it's up a little higher in the pagure ticket
kathryng (IRC) left the room.

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
ok cool
any other topics to discuss before we do ticket triage?
mleonova (IRC)
yeah
I have some points from Mindhsare
*Mindshare
so 1 thing we discovered is that https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_collateral  is widely used in LATAM

Ambassadors/Design - Fedora Project Wiki
Search wiki Fedora Project Wiki News Events Features Recent changes Random page Help Navigation Home Get Fedora Join Fedora sub-projects Ambassadors Community Operations Design Documentation

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
#topic mindshare

mleonova (IRC)
which leads to another point - the assets repo

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
Mmleonova: it looks like it redirects to ambassadors/design, that's good right (that page looks reasonable to me)
the old marketing collateral wiki page tho - no bueno
sesivany (IRC) left the room.
mleonova (IRC)
there still seems to be a disconnect of how Ambassadors get swag

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
it'd be nice if we had a neat front end to the assets repo
mleonova (IRC)
some of them don't know the process
despite Justin's post https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/new-guidelines-fedora-ambassadors-design/#more-1791

New guidelines for Fedora Ambassadors and Design - Fedora Community Blog - Fedora Community Blog
Together, Fedorans worked together on writing official guidelines for Ambassadors requesting artwork from the Fedora Design Team.
there's also this page https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Design

Ambassadors/Design - Fedora Project Wiki
Search wiki Fedora Project Wiki News Events Features Recent changes Random page Help Navigation Home Get Fedora Join Fedora sub-projects Ambassadors Community Operations Design Documentation
yeah, we tried to fix it partially

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
maybe a reminder post :-/
mleonova (IRC)
so yeah, the assets with the basic stuff will be great

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
so i cant even view the marketing collateral page it just redirects to ambassadors design
mleonova (IRC)
somewhere... :)

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
i guess the problem is if we point people at a git repo on pagure they wont get a good idea of what we have maybe? i dont know
maybe the ambassadors design page should point to the asset repo in pagure?
one issue with the asset repo, i dont know if we have cmyk versions of everything there, or if print-ready is marked clearly vs source
mleonova (IRC)
it was reeeally old
I think a good idea would be for them just to open tickets for anything they need
then we can easily find whatever they need and provide correct files
but how to get the point across?

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
yeh i think thats probably better but that's always been the process and its not always followed :(
they dont want to wait on a ticket
is my guess
they want something instant / self service
mleonova (IRC)
true

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
did any ambassadors in mindshare share why they didnt open a ticket?
we could do some sort of survey or something to figure out more about whats going on
or figure out what key terms theyre looking for when they search for swag art and make sure the top results in the wiki / elsewhere point to a doc saying open a design ticket
mleonova (IRC)
there was x3mboy, who was talking about LATAM and they just don't know to do it
somehow they got the marketing page and used just that
if I remember correctly

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
well Xx3mboy knows how to do it though and he's opened up a lot of tickets
mleonova (IRC)
survey sounds good

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
maybe we should go through the wiki and look for the old cruft and annihilate it :)
mleonova (IRC)
hehe ;)

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
#idea annihilate old crufty swag/collateral designs from wiki
#idea survey ambassadors and figure out how they currently get swag / what they look for / key terms
mleonova (IRC)
so looks like we need to - review assets - review wiki - contact ambassadors

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
#idea populate ambassador swag key terms with pointers to design ticket queue on wiki (Elsewhere?)
mleonova (IRC)
exactly
I volunteer to put together a list of swag with links

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
+1
Mmleonova: a list of good swag right?
or the annihilation list? >:)
mleonova (IRC)
the former
=)

* mizmo just likes saying annihilation
mleonova (IRC)
I'll open a ticket for myself right now

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
#action mleonova to put together a list of approevd swag with links
sadin (IRC)
its a good word

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
maybe we add your list to the ambassadors/design page?
mleonova (IRC)
do you like doing it? =)
* sadin (IRC) is still here just in a physical meeting as well

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
i dont mind deleting stuf
ill make a ticket for that
mleonova (IRC)
that's a good idea!
13:35

x3mboy (IRC) shows up
mleonova (IRC)
x3mboy, heya
sadin (IRC)
ello x3mboy
x3mboy (IRC)
mleonova, sadin, mizmo hello!
I didn't open a lot of tickets :'(
Just a few
mleonova (IRC)
let's say some ;) and it's great that you did
otherwise correct me if I repeated anything wrongly
x3mboy (IRC)
No, it's totally right
mleonova (IRC)
cool
x3mboy (IRC)
Some Latam ambassadors were using the old marketing collateral to take the old outdated desing
I like the ideas you have proposed
EOF
mleonova (IRC)
=)
* x3mboy (IRC) in spy mode again
mleonova (IRC)
ok, this is open https://pagure.io/design/issue/582

Issue #582: Create a list of approved swag - design - Pagure
Overview Docs Commits Files Releases Issues 42 Pull Requests 1

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
Xx3mboy: a lot of tickets in a good way :) the way we want them to be opened :)
here is the annihilation ticket: https://pagure.io/design/issue/583

Issue #583: Find and destroy old, outdated, bad swag and marketing collateral from the wiki - design - Pagure
Overview Docs Commits Files Releases Issues 42 Pull Requests 1
ok anything else to discuss on this topic?
mleonova (IRC)
no, I think not
we can move on :)

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
okay cool lets hit some tickets for triage
#topic triage
https://pagure.io/design/issue/581

Issue #581: Poster design for Fedora 28 Release Parties - design - Pagure
Overview Docs Commits Files Releases Issues 42 Pull Requests 1
Poster design for Fedora 28 Release Parties
mleonova (IRC)
I opened that one to make sure we're on track

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
my kernel just panicked, on phone now
mleonova (IRC)
so once release parties start we'll be ready with badges ad posters

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
looks like someone is interested just waiting on wallpaper
mleonova (IRC)
poor kernel

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
need to mark it triaged and assign to them
i couldnt calm it down just have to give it the boot :-p
mleonova (IRC)
I can do that

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
awesome thx
* mizmo almost back up and running
mleonova (IRC)
ok, done

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
awesome ok next one
mleonova (IRC)
https://pagure.io/design/issue/580

Issue #580: Mindshare Committee logo design - design - Pagure
Overview Docs Commits Files Releases Issues 42 Pull Requests 1

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
https://pagure.io/design/issue/580

Issue #580: Mindshare Committee logo design - design - Pagure
Overview Docs Commits Files Releases Issues 42 Pull Requests 1
Mindshare Committee logo design

mleonova (IRC)
Mindshare Committee logo design

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
Mmleonova: need any ideas for this one?
mleonova (IRC)
on it :)
let me mark it triaged

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
okie dokie
next...
https://pagure.io/design/issue/579

Issue #579: Let's bring back pandas! (sticker sheet request) - design - Pagure
Overview Docs Commits Files Releases Issues 42 Pull Requests 1
Let's bring back pandas! (sticker sheet request)
mleonova (IRC)
ideas always welcome!

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
we totally need badgers
badgers and pandas, together
mleonova (IRC)
mizmo, really need your opinion on this one

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
the sticker sheet?
mleonova (IRC)
you're the panda expert :)
cool
sadin (IRC)
sloths are cool but they would send the rong message :)
mleonova (IRC)
yeah :)
sadin (IRC)
wrong*
mleonova (IRC)
we should be good with badgers and pandas

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
let me look at the sheets he linked to
honestly - i think what might be a good plan, is to go through the badges artwork and see what pandas and badgers we could extract
theres a lot of fun ones with all different outfits and poses
and it would give that awesome artwork more exposure
what do you think?
mleonova (IRC)
yes! I agree. Can you please comment?

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
will do
* mizmo salutes
mleonova (IRC)
thanks :)
sadin (IRC)
Anything else I might be able to help with besides wallpapers?

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
Ssadin: trawl through badges.fedoraproject.org and identify interesting badgers and pandas that would make good stickers :)
kathryng (IRC) joined the room.

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
this is a good ticket for a newbie to work on actually
https://pagure.io/design/issue/579

Issue #579: Let's bring back pandas! (sticker sheet request) - design - Pagure
Overview Docs Commits Files Releases Issues 42 Pull Requests 1
sadin (IRC)
mizmo ok! is this ticket 579?
Have it bookmarked

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
Ssadin: ye
yep
so one thing that's been happening
sadin (IRC)
Maybe I should hold off on it then and let a newbie?

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
a lot of newcomers have had trouble finding tickets to work on
sadin (IRC)
Or do you just want me to keep suggesting badges

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
i think ill send out the minutes after the meeting today and at the top have a list of open tickets
Ssadin: feel free to suggest them in the ticket but let a newbie claim it
i think it'd be helpful for them to see examples of what we're talking about
to get them started
sadin (IRC)
Understood!
is there a flag for newbie friendly tickets under issues?

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
there was one sec
i was using 'bounty' as the tag but i had a specific format
kathryng (IRC) left the room.
sadin (IRC)
gotcha

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
eg https://pagure.io/design/issue/569

Issue #569: Fedora Diversity Team Shirt - design - Pagure
Overview Docs Commits Files Releases Issues 42 Pull Requests 1
sadin (IRC)
561 has it
maybe at triage point we can try to doublecheck to flag 'bounty' ?
if needed
mleonova (IRC)
I gotta run - thank you everyone!
sadin (IRC)
seeya mleonova !!
MM
mleonova (IRC)
bye ;)

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
later Mmleonova
Ssadin: there should only be 2 that have it
rather than make this a bounty (which is a lot of work for me and i dont have time right now)
lets just tag it newbie
sadin (IRC)
mizmo sure, makes sense
just trying to help address the issue you mentioned about newbies having trouble finding work

mizmoFedora Project (+fedoraproject:matrix.org)
all right im going to close th emetting out
thanks for coming :)
#endmeeting
sadin (IRC)
bye!