Re: Updating Badge Rules

On 10/26/2017 08:22 AM, Brian Exelbierd wrote:> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017, at
01:20 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

>> Hi bex,
>>
>> This isnt really the right list. The infrastructure team maintains the
>> side of badges you're asking about.
>>

> Ahh.  Is this a correct undertanding?

> infrastructure implements rules and puts them in products - mailing
> list: infrastructure@

Hey Brian,

I typed out a reply and realized after what you are specifically asking
for. As of now, I don't know of a way to test rules. It's more than
likely possible, but the current way is usually pushing straight to
production. There is no infrastructure in place now to test the rules.
This is also why we sometimes have broken badges, like all of the Pagure
commit badges.

The rules are hosted in a different assets repo from the main Badges
repo, but they are being merged together soon. So we'll have all of the
resources together in one place soon.

    https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/6395

    https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/6427

However, when I read your email, I noticed a lot of the Badges
documentation (to my knowledge) was lost from the migration, since it
was in the Trac wiki. As a reference, I think there's other
documentation work needed in Badges as well.

I see three different types of documentation. One for people submitting
badge requests, one for designing badges, and the other for the people
pushing the badges.

Requesting a badge¹
===================

If you are requesting a badge, you currently file a ticket here:

    https://pagure.io/Fedora-Badges/

There are instructions in the README and quick links to help someone
figure out where to go for what. If you click "New issue", you will see
an issue template of some questions we ask people to answer when
requesting a badge.

There isn't any official documentation on how to request a badge, where
the audience is someone in the contributor community. I find that useful.

¹ The caveat is that some repos / URLs will change in the next week or two.

Designing a badge
=================

We used to have a thorough guide on how to do this, but I realize now
that was in the wiki on Trac, and Trac is gone. Usually, people are
asked to download the design resources to set up their workspace and use
the pre-existing templates for badges.

    https://pagure.io/fedora-badges/issue/528

Masha also wrote a helpful blog post about the steps badge designers
should follow to create new badges.

    https://mashaleonova.wordpress.com/2017/01/20/fedora-badges-how-to/

Pushing a badge
===============

There are two resources: the official infrastructure SOP and a blog post
I wrote a while back. Both need minor, specific tweaks, but they both
effectively document the current process.

    https://docs.pagure.org/infra-docs/sysadmin-guide/sops/badges.html

    https://blog.justinwflory.com/2016/07/push-fedora-badges/

I hope this is also helpful for you. I plan to spend time working on
documentation-related tasks and want to contribute some of these pieces
as well.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory