Re: Incorporating Unreal Engine in Fedora Design

Hi Zoltan,

On 09/25/2017 05:56 AM, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> I think we can create more interesting Fedora desktop if we use
> something that not "fully" 3d and resource hungry.

I think Enea was suggesting to use actual 3D though.

> I suggest that we can
> maybe pimp

Please, let's not use this word.

> up our desktop if we combine isometric/anamorthic artwork
> based on svg. I suggest something similar that Victor Vasarely made in
> his marvelous paints

Vasarely's artwork is interesting, but I am concerned because a lot of
it creates visual movement / interference which on a desktop is pretty
distracting. The desktop should fade into the background, not draw
attention to itself. Having movement of this type of the screen can be
distracting and disorientating; it can make a user feel dizzy.

I do not think we want those effects from our background.

>, or VamosArt creates online and combine with our
> fade thing.

I think these are neat but am not 100% that the mechanics would work on
a screen. These kinds of images rely on physical space that we don't
have - we have a flat screen. E.g., here is the intended viewing angle
of one:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/683946/thumbs/s-CHALKSNAIL-large640.jpg?4

But change angles and it looks like this:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/683947/thumbs/s-CHALKSNAIL2-large640.jpg?4

We don't have angles within the desktop to make an illusion like this
work, as I understand how this works. Part of the illusion is the
juxtaposition of a drawn object with correct shading / lighting /
perspective in a real environment. I suppose we could mimic the effect
by drawing/modeling a 3D like object within a photograph using the same
perspective lines as in the photograph; I can't think of any other way
of acheiving something like this. If you have more concrete ideas on how
this would be possible in the context you're suggesting, I would be
interested to see them.

For the specific idea above, we'd need some theme / ideas / content that
would fall along the lines of the themes we pursue in Fedora's artwork
(generally relating to technology and nature.)

~m