Re: f26 backgrounds update https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2017-9ab2094727

On 03/07/17 11:25 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2017-9ab2094727
>

> There seems to be a bodhi problem which is preventing me from
> commenting. This update converted the wallpaper from JPEG to PNG at
> what ImageMagick and GIMP identify as 90% JPEG quality. This causes
> significant and ugly artifacts around the fine detail of the branches
> -- this image is nearly a worst-case scenario for JPEG. To my eye, it's
> pretty bad to about 98%, even -- at that point, there's still
> degradation but it kind of blends into the texture rather than standing
> out. This is still smaller than the PNG, at least.
>
> Can we re-do these at 99% or 100%? If saving space is important, going
> to 4:2:0 chroma subsamping saves about 33% without as much obvious
> visual impact on this particular image.
>
> Does it break GNOME if the original .png file *also* stays in place?
> That seems like a much less risky change because at this point we don't
> know for sure where all that file may be referenced already.

Here is the scratch build with toned down dog for day of light
backgrounds. Animated wallpapers are in JPEG format while static remains
in PNG so other desktop environments won't get affected.

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=20327594

I tested it on my desktop fine. The source contains both PNG and JPEG.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic & Web Designer