Re: Fedora.next and Fedora's brand

Hi everyone,

Caveat to all the below: I am an amateur, and quite possibly the least
skilled and most inexperienced member on the Fedora design team, so you
might want to take my views with many grains of salt:

I like Máirín and Ryan's idea of using a visual brand language. The
Starbucks example Máirín mentions looks simple but each symbol
effectively signals different concepts while all being part of the same
theme. I think striving for that type of common brand language across
the Workstation, Server, and Cloud products is a great goal, and should
underpin the whole design/marketing framework for these products. That
said, I do think the sublogos for those products should include the text
"Workstation", "Server", or "Cloud" in the Comfortaa font, incorporating
the approach of the existing sublogo layout.

While we could use different colours to differentiate the products, I
think sticking with the same/similar shades of blue of the Fedora logo
could be more effective. It might better illustrate that the products
are all part of the Fedora project.

The Ford example also sounds good; Ford cars all have a common logo with
differentiating sublogos. However, there can be striking differences
between those sublogos: the Ford Mustang's is a galloping stallion,
while the Ford Taurus's is a sharp word mark. While the Starbucks visual
brand language has many clear commonalities, Ford automobile sublogos
look very different from each other.

I guess my point is: I think we should add these questions to the list
to ask the working groups:

	(5) To what extent is your product different from
	the other products in the Fedora.next initiative?

	(6) To what extent is your product similar to the other
	products in the Fedora.next initiative?

These may be somewhat trivial-sounding questions, but getting a sense of
how the working groups see their product in relation to the other
Fedora.next products could help to better establish a common branding
framework.

Thanks,
Adam Saunders