Re: Fedora Magazine logo ideas

Hi!

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I put together another sheet based
on your ideas -

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/art/logos/fedoramag/fedora-mag-logos_ideas-2.png

(SVG in the same directory if you want a play)

Some explanation inline below -

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 08:13 -0500, Ruth Suehle wrote:
> B, and I like D with the variants. I could also see some potential on
> postcards or shirts to have images instead of colors in the variants.

Ooh I like the idea to have images instead of colors in variants - I
played with this a bit on the C variants and the revised D variants with
a couple of Gimp bitmap patterns.

> The first thing that sprung to mind was if it was strange to use some
> kind of radio image, since we're broadcasting information, and the
> initials are FM. But that's also a bit beyond the usual Fedora [Thing]
> logo style.

I think it's okay though; I think as Tatica suggested, it's not
necessarily bad to have a bit of a bolder brand for it. (as long as it
still looks 'Fedora,' I think.)

So I played around with this idea (which I like a lot) a bit, and the
results are E, F, and H. I am uncomfortable with F though - after
staring at it for a while, I think it looks like the Vicks (the cold
medicine people, I don't know if they are international so this is what
it looks like for non US folks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicks )
logo. I tried it first at the normal Fedora bubble rotation but it
doesn't give you the feeling of 'broadcasting' anymore, it just kinda
looks like a cheesy late 70's disco effect thing.

> On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 10:25 -0500, Pamela Chestek wrote:
> > I'm not a fan of D or the variants; I think the Fedora logo, which
> > should be the dominant element, gets overwhelmed, then you go
> > through a thought process of "oh, the infinity symbol again, I get
> > it," which is too much thinking for a logo.

Ah okay, I get that. I poked at it for a bit and came up with a revision
(marked D revised) on the sheet, which is a bit of a riff off of the
Four Foundations artwork (e.g., 'with smaller bubbles' here
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines#Permitted_logo_variants_3 ) What do you think about that configuration instead?

> > I like C better; it adds an extra element to create a new look for a
> > magazine but still honors the original logo. But I thought the
> > Fedora logo portion was too small so I made a version with the
> > proportions changed.

Hey you are a regular Inkscape whiz, Pam! :) I like what you did with it
- I think you might not have the font installed though because your
version seems to be using the default Sans font. I did up your version
using Comfortaa, it's C on the sheet.

I'm tending towards favoring this one more as well - I think it's along
the lines of the popular styles folks are going with for branding this
sort of thing now, it has the flat look with the bright colors.

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 17:34 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > I like the D ideas, basically. I especially like how you can
> > easily distinguish sections with different letters/colours. I see you
> > experiment with upper-case letters only, I would be more daring
> > and try lower-case and a simple shading.

Thanks for the mockup, I see what you mean!

I definitely played around more with lowercase this time, creating
an 'fm' logo in lowercase using the logo bubble 'f' and a custom 'm'
character to match (tweaked from some Comfortaa letterforms.)

I'm trying to avoid any kind of shading / drop-shadows for this though
- it seems like a lot of online magazine designs these days are going
for a superflat look (probably related to the current UI design trend
of superflat color blocks). My thinking there is we don't want this to
look dated in a year or two - it does seem at this point that the flat
trend is going to stick around for a while.

~m