[Design-team] Font suggestion for a title

Now with the correct recipient address ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Karsten Wade [kwade@xxxxxxxxxx]
To: design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: tosw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Font suggestion for a title

--- Begin Message ---
Hi:

I have a font geek/design question that is a bit outside of the regular Fedora purview. I'm looking for a good titling font to replace Interstate. Here's the whole story.

We have this actively written handbook that captures the principles, implementation methods, and some good stories about applying the open source way beyond just software:

http://TheOpenSourceway.org

An important goal of that project is that the book contents are not only freely licensed (CC BY SA 3.0) but the entirety of every tool and design used is equally free. A few months ago I realized that the site background was made using a non-free font (Interstate). Since I had otherwise made sure the Red Hat Design team who helped us with styling provided sources, I was able to fix the non-free state but at the cost of a nice titling font:

http://iquaid.org/2011/02/19/banner-mistake-for-the-open-source-way-website/

Ian Weller reminded me today that the Liberation Sans I used just didn't carry the visual weight of the Interstate. I also realized that the favicon.ico was still Interstate, so that needs fixing ASAP.

This time though, I'd like to take the time to get the design right. (It's probably worth it to make the change to Lib Sans just get the freedom status correct, but I don't want to let ugly sit for long.)

Any suggestions?

If it helps, here are the sources for the background/logotype and favicon:

https://fedorahosted.org/tosw/browser/website/media/images

Suggestions, patches, etc. welcome.

Thx - Karsten

--- End Message ---