Re: [Design-team] First few jingles

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 15:23 +0000, Tom medhurst wrote:

> Any pointers as to what sound you would think would fit Fedora best? I
> am pretty new here, so not the best person to make that call..
> I remember that Yahoo! used to use a banjo (I have one of those too -
> and a mandolin), and eBay once used a track from Feist, so I thought
> the acoustic sound might go well, it should give it a homely,
> down-to-Earth sound?

Well, that I'm honestly not so sure about! I mean, maybe we can tell you
a bit about the qualities of Fedora and you can help us figure out what
kind of sound it would need with your expertise. Here's the set of
wallpapers we've had over the years... the wallpapers since Fedora 10
might be the best to focus on:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wallpapers

We tend to have wallpapers that are cool/cold, clean, related to water
or space, blue. We tend to use curved elements as accents in a lot of
our design work; eg a curved corner or two on a box, or the speech
bubble element from our logo - see the four foundations graphics towards
the bottom for an example: http://fedoraproject.org/en/about-fedora

If Fedora was a person I think it'd be described as an older-brother
type, very knowledgeable, technically talented/skilled, but also quiet
and not so trendy... friendly and family-oriented, but not overly
outgoing or exuberant or excitable. Definitely not lonely.

Does that kind of description and the artwork samples maybe help give
you an idea of the kind of sound we should do? I'm not sure
homely/down-to-Earth is exactly right... that kind of makes me think of
a traditional log cabin in the mountains in the woods? Maybe it'd be
more like this:
http://www.greenpacks.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/re-cover-house-amagansett-long-island-1.jpg

~m