Re: [Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

On Friday, December 17, 2010 03:44:37 pm Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 12:23 +0100, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
> > Wow..... Just heard about this now. With all due respect, this is
> > BULLSHIT. You are telling me you couldn't have told the team earlier?
> > Maybe BEFORE we all started ramping up to do the F15 wallpaper? This
> > decision must've been in the works for quite some time.
>
> There's no secret cabal meeting a backroom to make decisions about how
> we configure GNOME in Fedora; just a bunch of developers with overfilled
> todo lists.
>
> Obviously, the GNOME artists have been working on the look of GNOME 3
> for a while and selected the stripes background months ago. But it was
> really only yesterday when we saw the notice for the sketching sessions
> for the Fedora 15 background process that we connected the dots and
> realized that couldn't be two things configured as the default
> background for GNOME 3.0 in Fedora 15.
>
> I certainly apologize for not bringing this up earlier. We should have
> brought it up earlier. (But it's still pretty early in the process, too,
> right?)
>
> > This is disappointing as hell. I had expected nonsense like that
> > within the Ubuntu community, but not with Fedora. This would've been a
> > chance to really set Fedora apart and create the best Gnome 3
> > experience everywhere in an open and transparent way. We've said so
> > since the last GUADEC. That is what the Design Team is for. If we just
> > dictate a wallpaper from up hight, that maybe transparent but it's not
> > open. At least not in my understanding of it. And now this, out of
> > nowhere. What exactly is the Design Team doing for F15 now? Why are we
> > even there at all?
>
> Our general approach with the GNOME components in Fedora is to work
> upstream whenever possible. It's very seldom that there's a change that
> makes sense in Fedora that doesn't make sense upstream. So we try to
> just do the change upstream.
>
> I think we'd see the art the same way; if the icons can be improved, if
> we can do a more attractive widget theme, then we should do that for
> GNOME.
>
> So, I guess we haven't necessarily seen the need for a big process to
> design artwork for GNOME 3 in Fedora 15 that is separate from the normal
> flow to design artwork for GNOME 3. The GNOME artists are very friendly
> and open to people getting involved. You can find them on #gnome-art and
> #gnome-design on GimpNet.
>
> Obviously, there's work to be done to coordinate the user experience for
> GNOME 3 and Fedora and make it fit together - at every level from how
> the websites interact on down. There's still a few months to make that
> happen.

Fedora is not Gnome only :) What about Gnome 3 Fedora Remix for Gnome demo
version? Other desktop environments are using these approach - it's very easy to
do it, everything can be rebranded but mention Fedora Remix somewhere :)

If not a Remix, I don't care if Gnome spin goes with non Gnome theme anymore -
it's up to you, your responsibility, your choice Fedora or Gnome ;-) But we need
then answer for other spins/old Gnome 2.x - are we going to prepare theme for
F15 (looks like, I'd appreciate that, you guys here rocks!), or should we go to
upstream wallpaper too (upstreams would be happy then ;-). But it's decision not
only for F15 but F15+ - skipping from our, to upstream's theme, then back is not
a good idea. Very inconsistent behaviour.

Jaroslav

> - Owen

Jaroslav ÅeznÃk <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx>

Office: +420 532 294 275