Re: [Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:23:49PM +0100, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
> Wow..... Just heard about this now. With all due respect, this is BULLSHIT.
> You are telling me you couldn't have told the team earlier? Maybe BEFORE we
> all started ramping up to do the F15 wallpaper? This decision must've been
> in the works for quite some time.
>
> This is disappointing as hell. I had expected nonsense like that within the
> Ubuntu community, but not with Fedora. This would've been a chance to really
> set Fedora apart and create the best Gnome 3 experience everywhere in an
> open and transparent way. We've said so since the last GUADEC. That is what
> the Design Team is for. If we just dictate a wallpaper from up hight, that
> maybe transparent but it's not open. At least not in my understanding of it.
> And now this, out of nowhere. What exactly is the Design Team doing for F15
> now? Why are we even there at all?
>
> Sorry if this sounds pissed off, but that is basically the way I feel right
> now.

Can we cool down the rhetoric just a bit?  That would really help this
discussion be more constructive, so thanks in advance Fab.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that sketching had just
begun for F15 wallpaper.  Is this request undoing a really huge amount
of work?  For instance, I don't see any entries yet here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F15_Artwork

I'm not saying people haven't been coming up with good ideas!  I'm
sure there's a lot of excitement over creating a cool F15 wallpaper.
What I'm saying is, as far as I can tell, the team isn't a mile down
the road already, and being asked to double back.

I'm looking at the Design team schedule here:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-15/f-15-design-tasks.html

According to the schedule, the "Design wallpaper" task just started
three days ago.  So it seems to me this request comes at a pretty good
time, seeing as how that task lasts about three weeks.  We just don't
want to take all three weeks to debate and decide, then, right?

Personally, I really like the idea that Fedora is being asked to be
the tip of the spear showing off the new GNOME 3.  A lot of work has
gone into it, and not just by people inside Red Hat, but by a wide
community of free software contributors.  I think Jaroslav mentioned
that getting artwork to marry up might be a little more work.  There
are still splashes, GRUB, supplemental wallpapers, and other work to
be done.  But I also see there a *LOT* more contributors/ninjas on
this team than we've had, say, a couple years ago!  And for the first
time we'll have a team lead who is 100% devoted-by-dayjob to
facilitating Design team work for the *entire* cycle.  So it seems
doable, if the team wants to take on that challenge.

On top of that, I seem to recall that the Desktop Live image for F-15
was slated to be larger than CD-sized.  If that's the case, with
proper coordination between teams, why not look into having an entire
set of supplemental wallpapers created by the Fedora Design team
included in the Desktop Live image?  I'm not sure we've ever included
those by default before, but it would be a great way to let people
further customize their Fedora desktop, out of the box and in a Fedora
specific way if they want.