Re: [Design-team] Self Introduction / Fedora startpage

On 11/24/2010 10:02 PM, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> I made a mockup [1] which has the same content as the current Start
> page, but with the redesigned header and footer. Together with Sijis I
> put together a working prototype [2]. As you can see we added two RSS
> feeds to the page with announcements and Fedora Planet posts.
>
> Looking back I don't think I announced any of this on the Websites or
> Design Team mailing lists, which wasn't smart. After all, if it's not on
> the list, it didn't happen. ;)

That's so true... :)

> - I think the Board has talked before about changing the content and
> function of start.fpo, but I can't remember what the consensus was. This
> is why I kept the current content and only worked on the appearance
> (just like you did). I think that's the best way to go for now. We can
> always change it in the future.

IIRC, there was no consensus reached.
An important amount of people have concerns about us relying
on/promoting a proprietary service. There are also voices saying some
other projects receive money from Google for something like this. And
other voices pointing to the little value of having a Google search when
the default browser (Firefox) has the search box inside its UI.