Re: [Design-team] Self Introduction / Fedora startpage

Hi Jef,

Am 24.11.2010 21:02, schrieb Jef van Schendel:
> So my suggestion is to put both of these concepts together and make one
> really fantastic Start page.:)
Here we go! :)

> - We'd like to use the same footer across all the different Fedora websites,
> so I think we should keep that. It's big and has a lot of content, but on
> the other hand it's content that fits really well on a Start page. Also, we
> can remove the Release Notes, Join, etc links if we use that footer.
I think using the same footer on "regular" websites like www.fpo or
get.fpo is absolutely necessary. But on such a special site like
start.fpo I think it would be better not to "rush" the user with
content. Especially new users would just get struck by all this
information and would overlook the search bar as core functionality.

> - As I said I love the CC icons as filters, but they could be a little
> closer to the actual search bar, so it's clear what they're used for. I
> think the "dropdown + button + CC logo" combo I currently have in place
> looks ugly, so maybe we can simply put them there?
Sounds good to me. Have a look: [2]

> - I'm not sure what to do about the RSS feeds. Initially I resisted against
> adding them, because I felt the page would go from a clean and simple Start
> page to a full-blown hub. On the other hand, they contain a lot of good and
> up-to-date information about what's happening in the community. What do you
> (and others who want to join in!) think, are they valuable enough to keep?
> Or is it a step too far?
Maybe we should talk about two different sites:
* welcome.fedoraproject.org
Think of it looking like my v3 with a "compressed" standard footer. [1]
This site should only contain the searching functionality since it's
intended as browser home page.
The only additional function I'd add would be a link named "switch to
daily start page" or so, which updates the browser home page to a
start.fedoraproject.org variant as stated below.

* start.fedoraproject.org
On this site I'd place things like RSS feeds, tweets, rotating photo
galleries etc. Something like a portal but only with aggregated content
so no daily maintenance would be needed.
Perhaps pushing planet.fpo unfiltered to this site should be rethought
since there are sometimes quite useless postings like "i have voted" or
so. Maybe someone should pick the 20-30 most "valuable" ones and tell
the blog owners about the fact that their posts will appear on
start.fpo. In this way a little quality assurance would be given.

vinz.

[1] http://vinz.fedorapeople.org/start.fpo/compressed-footer.png
[2] http://vinz.fedorapeople.org/start.fpo/v4.png
--