Re: [Design-team] Fedora 13 Design Schedule

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 10:23:07AM -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> Hi Design Team,
>
> We weren't able to work on the schedule at FUDCon so though I need some
> direction here on how you would like to schedule to work for Fedora 13.
>   My recollection was that the four "refreshes" planned for Fedora 12
> did not work as well as hoped so I created wallpaper dates around the
> Alpha and Beta, etc.
>
> Here is what I have so far:
> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13/f-13-design-tasks.html
>
> Please let me know what should be changed or adjusted.

I guess everyone is probably still enjoying the awesomeness of F12!
;-) Here are a couple of thoughts I had about where the team might
want to look at changes, given what I saw on the list during the
cycle:

* Wallpapers are currently listed this way: design from 2009-12-25 to
  2010-02-08, then prepare/package for Alpha by 2010-02-15; then
  prepare/package the final version for Beta by 2010-03-23.  Remember
  that the Beta is the last test phase before GA, so what goes into
  Beta really needs to be the final work if possible.

  * What would need to happen to have wallpaper finalized by Alpha (or
    just after), to make more time to create the derivatives like
    splashes?

  * Were the weekly refreshes to wallpapers needed or useful?  Like
    John, my recollection is that they were difficult to attain, so
    it's OK if the team wants to drop them.

  * The design volley that resulted in the final wallpaper last
    release was a great idea.  What if we scheduled that at some point
    in the next couple of weeks, and publicized it in advance?  Then
    we could get the results out for review via blogs and other media.

* I really think it would be useful to have a regular Design team
  meeting of some sort.  Now that we have an automated meeting bot,
  catching up on minutes is easy so no one is excluded just because
  they can't be present at the scheduled time.  Having a regular
  checkpoint can help ease the tension that otherwise silently
  develops from looking at the schedule and thinking, "Are we going to
  be able to do <X>?"  The Trac has been great for tracking the
  itemized list of to-do's, and I think a regular meeting would help
  make sure that tasks stay current.