Re: [Design-team] First Design Suite Build

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 14:44 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 12/22/2009 01:15 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > To throw something in:
> >        * target 1: showcase of design team work (perhaps customise the
> >          looks of the spin, add more wallpapers, include echo icons?)
>
> I don't like this target, I think we should go beyond "showing of" into
> something we would use ourselves.
>
> >        * target 2: typesetting -- fonts, inkscape, TeX, color profiles
> >          are IMHO a must
> >        * target 3: general art/design work -- gimp, inkscape, color
> >          profiles, brushes, perhaps our echo-artist helper scripts, ...
> >        * target 4: video editing -- something for screencasting,
> >          something to grab raw video from video camera, pitivi or kino or
> >          something like that for cutting, perhaps an app for sound
> >          editing/recording, include dirac/schrodinger codec (I think
> >          theora, vorbis, flac, etc. are already in), perhaps some app for
> >          subtitling (I'm maintaining subtitleeditor myself, but there are
> >          more)
> >        * target 5: desktop publishing -- OpenOffice.org + templates,
> >          scribus
>
> My option would be for a combination of 2-5 and address a large target
> of creative uses. And I think those targets are linked deeply, here are
> a couple of examples:
> - a couple of days ago I was editing a video. I discovered I *need*
> image editing applications (I used Inkscape, but GIMP would have been
> equally useful) since I had to add a logo and a nice opening screen;
> - for serious desktop publishing you don't use only the final
> application, you will usually have to process photos (GIMP) and create
> original art (Inkscape).

Good points. Actually the target 1 was meant rather as complementary to
the spin -- create a spin for designers but also include some work we
have done ourselves and are proud of it and tune the look'n'feel of the
spin ;-) The main purpose should be combination of 2-5 targets, I was
merely listing some (partly overlapping) subsets of the whole spin I
think that would be worth optimizing it for (we won't be probably
marketing for all creative users at once but for Joe who does web
design, for Jane who likes to do home videos, for Pete who is
professional typesetter, ...). Although, looking back through the list,
probably desktop publishing and typesetting should be merged as one
subset...

Martin