Re: [Design-team] [OT] GIMP becoming too profi and thus will be excluded from Ubuntu distro

On 12/03/2009 04:42 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> What are the goals of your local community in promoting Linux? What kind
> of users are you promoting to? Are they more artistically-inclined? Or
> do they simply want more functionality than is available in a CD-based
> spin?

See, next week I will give a presentation about Fedora at a local
conference (the audience will probably be mostly university students,
maybe CS students). I cant talk with a straight face about the 4
foundations when:
- freedom: when we indirectly suggest proprietary online apps (I was
told so earlier in this thread);
- friends: when our flagship spin is designed practically by a couple of
people inside their little universe and ignoring everyone else (like
nuking Nodoka);
- features: when we remove features left and right.
Only with "first" I can be covered.

> I'm trying to understand the need - maybe the Desktop spin is not the
> right one for your local community - but I'm trying to figure out what
> would be. E.g., maybe the Desktop spin does not have the Gimp, but if
> your argument is that there are folks who are not professional artists
> who have use for the Gimp, maybe there could be something like, I don't
> know, "Desktop Pro," "Desktop for Technical Professionals," or "Desktop
> Plus" or "Desktop Extended" or "Desktop Showcase" spin that is much
> larger and has a different goal, eg.

I think GIMP is only a symptom, not the single problem. Honestly, I
would be happier with Inkscape getting at last on the install DVD, where
we have about 1GB of unused space.

> - the Desktop spin's goal is perhaps a clean&  simple / finely-honed
> collection of a basic desktop experience for basic desktop productivity
> common across multiple domains without much domain-specific content;

And it's users are not the people from which we are expecting to come
back to the project and contribute. Most of them will not even bother to
search the web and learn which additional application they can install.

> - this new spin's goal is to show off the best-of-the-best free and open
> source desktop applications across many domains. It would be more like a
> hall-of-fame kind of spin.

Yes, that is more like something I would use to introduce people to
FLOSS, a disk with applications that will make their lives better, where
they can discover awesome stuff.