Re: [Design-team] The Theme

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 17:28 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:> On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 22:56 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:> > On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 09:55 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:> > > We still need a default. We could pick one of the ones we select to be> > > the default one, but have others along the same theme available as> > > options. Adding another dialog I think isn't a good idea.> > Think of Live CDs. We don't have the space to ship more wallpapers in> > our default install...> > Don't we ship a small selection GNOME-provided wallpapers in the LiveCD> as well? Couldn't we swap those out?> > > > > > Honestly, I am not a big fan of this approach, is like us dropping the > > > > ball and acknowledging we are not able to create ourselves something > > > > good enough.> > > > > Me neither.> > Why do we have to create the wallpaper ourselves?> > > > > Well it doesn't mean that we couldn't, for example, take a sourced image> > > we decide should be the default and manipulate it or make some changes> > > to it. Also, we'd still have to create from scratch all the various> > > banners and splashes, etc. Or it could even be we select something we> > > think is awesome and openly-licensed and use it heavily as inspiration,> > > but we can still create an original work.> > > > > Yeah, we could do that, but are we really that desperate to take our> > default artwork from outside our team?> > I *am* that desperate. The past 3 releases have been miserable for me> personally, and I did literally have to drop everything going on in my> life and spend late nights on the wallpaper.
Maybe I am being a bit unreasonable. I have been thinking about it -
Maybe we can aim to do an abstract, vector-based (please vector-based,the reasons you give for avoiding 100MB+ XCFs is quite sound, Martin)default wallpaper that is an original creation... having it be vectorreduces the file size, makes it easier for folks to participate, andmake it easy to automate generating all the aspect ratios we need, andmakes it way easy to incorporate into the other corresponding artwork.
But, could we have a selection of openly-licensed ready-mades we sourcefrom elsewhere that complement it thematically? By default or not... ?
And our fallback plan, if the default creation ends up being anotherpainful ball of stress, is to just pick our favorite of the accompanyingready-mades... that does seem quite sound doesn't it?
I don't know, what do you think?
(And I'm very sorry for being so stress-y over this... it's quite a soretopic for me and I should have thought more before sending my lastreply.)
~m
_______________________________________________design-team mailing listdesign-team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/design-team