Re: Wallpaper Extras - was: Re: F11 Art Schedule

On 04/09/2009 12:57 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 12:36 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
- do we require some minimal specs for the images, like a minimum
resolution?

Good uestion. How does 1600x1200 and 1600x1050 as the minimum reqs
sounds?

Those are absolute minimums. We can accept something lower only if it is vector image.

But what could be a recommended rezolution?

Another question is, should we package all the wallpapers on the
wallpaper extras wiki [1], or are we going to hand-pick a few?

If we open the gate and announce that widely, I think we will get *a lot* of images, ending with a huge package.
IMO we can have two types of criteria to divide the images:
- the quality, and I don't mean the *artistic* quality, but technical quality, for images with too much noise, bad focus or exposure, wrong aspect ratio and such; - the subject, someone wanting a nice landscape may not want to endure the download of a lot of flower macros and cute cats.

Also, I don't recall the conversation back then, but when googling, I
found this proposal [2] from Ian that sound like a pretty big
improvement over our current set-up. It would require probably these
steps:

1. reorganise the wallpaper extras wiki, create categories and templates
2. create an art-team space on fedora hosted (with git for the stored
images)
3. create a script (be it in python, ruby, perl, bash, whatever) to pull
the images together with info (author, cc attribution, ...) from wiki
and put them in a sane format into the git repo

Note that we would benefit from the fedorahosted space even more - i.e.
we would have good place to store the release graphics (especially the
wallpapers which currently contain the source archive only within the
srpm) have a place to track our tasks (ticket system) and could also be
a better place than wiki for the design queue.

I would like a much lower barrier to entry, having an upload form there the contributor select a file to upload, check a few boxes and fill a few fields with keywords, press a button and is done (that sounds awfully close to a gallery software?). If the barrier is low and contribution easy, I am sure we will get more contributors.

Ian's proposal sound better for the packager but somewhat complicated for the contributor.

Martin

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/Wallpaper_Extras
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-art-list@xxxxxxxxxx/msg06898.html