Re: Sound themes

William Jon McCann wrote:

However well intentioned Chris' effort may have been, the results are
not suitable for use in a high quality desktop product.  Have you
actually listened to the theme that you reference here?  There is
absolutely nothing wrong with creating lots of fun and creative
themes.  This is exactly what Lennart and I would like to see happen.
However, at some point we have to discriminate between what is play
and what is the right choice for our product and intended audience.

Yes, I listened to the theme and found it not perfect. But know what? It was NOT supposed to be perfect... the "release early, release often" mantra in FOSS is exactly that, put your work in the open as soon as possible so other can play with it, comment or contribute. How can the author improve his work without our feedback, knowing which parts are good and which suck?

And I think we failed at this step: giving feedback to Chris work and not encouraging him to continue and improve it.

What can I say more? You can't have your cake and eat it too, when Lennart asked publicly for as many as possible sound themes, it was expected some themes will be better and other worse, with the most of them worse at first, until the creators grow in experience - nobody is born as a master in putting together XDG sound themes.