Re: Re: Candidates for Fedora 10 CD/DVD sleeves

On Oct 6, 2008, at 6:40 AM, fedora-art-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 21:00 -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 09:46:09PM -0400, Jarod Wen wrote:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jarodwen/Fedora/10/sleeve_arts/sleeve_arts.html

Otherwise, back to the art... very nice! For the CD cases it seems like
the "sun" isn't the same as the DVD case or the rest of the artwork...
could you check that?

It's the same base XCF, but some of the layers have been hidden,
removing some of the surface turbulence and most of the foreground
flares. If we're going with the top image though, I'd like to see those
layers restored.

It is really the problem for me to merge the same planet from DVD to CD, since I didn't find a better way to copy several layers together to another Gimp file(I am a newbie there...), so finally I made a png for the planet image and combine it into the CD files. I am sure that the conversion from layers to png has eaten something... Anyone gives me some ideas on that?

Ian Weller wrote:

You might want to use the MgOpen Modata font, as that's the font that
Fedora uses for pretty much everything in their designs. You can get it
installed by running
 yum install mgopen-fonts

Yeah, MgOpen Modata for the release number (10), disk title (x86 LiveCD)
and for the url (fp.o). But the copyright text *may* be better (has to
be tested) to stay with a plain font (Liberation, DejaVu) for readability.

In fact I used the MgOpen Moderna, since when I tried to use MgOpen Modata, I found that the effects on my works showed a little difference from the ones in the sleeves of Fedora 9, where MgOpen Modata was used. I think I can changed it soon.

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

IIRC, the number of different colors shoots up the printing cost of the
material drastically. Shades of the same color is ok. You might want to
keep that in mind.

That is a real concern when printing on the real CD on large scale, but
for inkjet sleeve printing (do yourself at home) it is not a problem.

Ye guys, you are right. I didn't consider this problem. I will try to decrease the number of colors.

Thanks for all of your comments!

------
Jarod Wen