Re: Plymouth animated startup

Charlie Brej wrote:
Máirín Duffy wrote:
I just saw your startup screen running on Ray Strode's machine and it is really fantastic.

It'd be cool to see one with spinning gears for Gears, and one with solar flares for Solar!

The gear one was easy to implement, it is just a case of deciding the position and speed of turning. Because tiny angle changes are easily visible on gears (the teeth are not aligned) there must be a massive number of rotated images stored in memory (360 works well). The other problem is that because there is a directional shade across the gear image I used, it looks a bit naff when that shade then rotates and the shades of the different gears are at different angles.

The solar one on the other hand is rather difficult to make. Animating the flares is quite hard but I think I should have something to show quite soon.

I added some shading to the invinXble theme [1]. And I had a bit of a go at creating solar flares[2] on the solar theme[3]. This still needs quite a bit of work and it doesn't look as nice as thee invinXble one.

[1] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~brejc8/temp/3.swf
[3] http://www.crystalinks.com/solarflare105a.jpg
[2] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~brejc8/temp/4.swf