Game graphics needed - Project: Starfighter

Maybe some of you are familiar with a game named Project: Starfighter[1], a shoot 'em up whcih used to be part of Fedora (it is still available in Fedora 9 - use "yum install starfighter"):

[1] http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/starfighter.php

Unfortunately, this game is not entirely free, it uses some non-free data files (mostly graphics, music and sounds) so it was temporarily pulled from Fedora, until those graphics are replaced. Hans de Goede, from the Games SIG[2], contacted me and asked for help: while the music and sounds can be replaced with free equivalents from other games, there is a need for new graphics.

[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games

I persuaded Hans to file a request in the DesignService queue[3] and to make the data available in an usable format[4] (it uses to be in a .pak file which needed special tools to open).

[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService#Graphics_for_the_game_starfighter
[4] http://people.atrpms.net/~hdegoede/starfighter-data.tar.gz

Now what's needed from us: the tarball contains a "gfx" directory, with a number of PNG images. Among those are some which need to be replaced: character portraits and starfighter (and other spacecraft) images.

I have to witness that this is not my favorite game genre (I can't play 5 minutes before getting bored) and also I don't have experience in that particular drawing style (pixel level tweaking in a raster editor), so probably I won't do much for it (maybe I'll try some portraits).

So if anyone like this game and/or that style of graphics, this may be a fun project and a noble goal (freeing a game).