Re: Fedora 9 Theme Artwork Schedule (proposed)

John Poelstra wrote:
Máirín Duffy said the following on 12/17/2007 09:11 AM Pacific Time:
Hi folks,

I need a few more details. It is okay if we don't have exact dates those are easy to change after the schedule is built :)

I'll try to fill them up.

What do you think about this schedule for the F9 theming process? Also,
how about the requirements for rounds 1-3?

Tuesday, January 8 2008 - Default theme round 1 deadline. Requirements:
formal mailing list proposal, proposal page on the wiki linked up to the
F9 theming process page, at least 3 sketches to illustrate concept.

So the start date for this task is Fedora 8 GA? Once the deadline is

reached is there a special meeting date or other tasks that must be completed?

An announcement on the mailing list about the candidates making in the next round, update of the wiki and preferably also some blogging about it. Usually the announcement was made by Mo, as the team leader, I helped her with the blogging part.

Tuesday, February 5 2008 - Default theme round 2 deadline. Requirements:
at least 1 wallpaper and 3 supporting graphics - one that is
horizontally long, one that is vertically long, and one that is square
in design.

So the start date for this task is 2008-01-08? Once the deadline is

Yes.

reached is there a special meeting date or other tasks that must be completed?

The same as for the previous round.

Thursday, February 28 2008 - Default theme round 3 deadline -
requirements are entire suite of artwork listed on ThemingOverview close
to final versions. We will try to get this artwork into beta, freeze is
4 March.

So the start date for this task is 2008-02-05? Once the deadline is

Yes.

reached is there a special meeting date or other tasks that must be completed?

I believe at this point we should be in touch with the Desktop Team, starting to gradually package part of the artwork.

Monday March 10th - marketing discussion

--Is this is a single meeting?

In the past it was an ongoing thread spread for more days on the Marketing list.
F8 was the first release when we tried a milestone for marketing graphics.

--Are there other dependent tasks that build up to this meeting? If "yes", what are the date(s) and duration(s) (time needed to complete those tasks)?

We should have defined the graphic identity of the release (round 3), so we have the graphics elements to use. Probably end of round 3 is the start date for the task? An useful dependent task we failed to achieve in F8 was the definition (by Marketing) of one single slogan for the release (like "infinite freedom") to be used in those graphics.

Monday March 24th - finalize DVD/CD label artwork
--What is the start date for this task?

Probably end of round 3, but we can use CD/DVD artwork mockups even during round 2 or 3.

--Are there other dependent tasks that must be completed first? If "yes", what are the date(s) and duration(s) (time needed to complete the task)?

Definition of the release graphics, the slogan and, as this year it will be more early, maybe the release name.

Monday March 31st - Firefox default page artwork
--What is the start date for this task?

End of round 3.

--Are there other dependent tasks that must be completed first? If "yes", what are the date(s) and duration(s) (time needed to complete the task)?

Release graphics and slogan.

Thursday April 8th - www.fedoraproject.org F9 launch materials ready

What are the tasks and their associated duration which build up to this date? Is this an Art team task or Web team or both?

Both and more. The task are not set in stone, each release we add some new, for F8 we had for the first time a countdown. We may add flyers or posters. Making the materials "ready" may mean creating a version for print (with color separation and such).