Re: start the process for F9 theming?

I think that I understand a different thing:

I'm working into a Fedora wallpaper that should work for F9, and some of my ideas are to making it alive :D (If the people was happy with the infinity giving us the time... we could make the same transition of images on the desktop but using something different as a pattern).

The window style... Can we ad some textures to menu bar? (Gnome and KDE) like a 3D sensation?  I now that we could make something on inkscape looking like a pipe and instead see the things up the bar this COULD BE SEEN as inside... (but I'm not shure that if this is possible.... just saying what I have in mind to develop for F9 AS PERSONAL WORK)

Menu, window... everithing.... we CAN make a new window style like 3D.... why don't we go for it?

Yes... Here on LatinAmerica (Venezuela) the patents issue is really big, so.... (kind'a proposition) why don't we re-make a new style concept on the desktop for Fedora 9? It could be the start for a longer way.

Saludos!

2007/11/28, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Jack Badger wrote:
> This is probably going to be completely unwelcome, but, how about

Not necessarily "unwelcome", but certainly offtopic: we, people in the
Art Team don't have the power and knowledge to do this. You may want to
talk about this topic with the Games SIG
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games).
Really, I like to play games, other people around do the same, but this
is not the right place for the topic.

> recoding the entire OS to get it to be compatible with games, like
> windows? yea i know lots of you have your reason to hate windows, but
> they've been doing a pretty good job since day 1 with making it
> compatible with every last little tiny bit of rampant hardware out
> there, and more, 1 or 2 problems isnt really worth dissing it out now is
> it? anyway.

I do not understand exactly your point, but I think you have it wrong.
- "compatible with games" like "run the latest Windows games"? We can't
help much if the game developers choose to target Windows (and use
things like DirectX instead of OpenGL). Emulation (Wine) is the best hope;
- as in "have good 3D hardware support"? there is a lot of work on this,
but is not easy: the hardware manufactures provide drivers for Windows
and in many cases not even documentation for Linux developers to make
their own. Due to license, is not possible (and outside of our goals
anyway) for Fedora to ship binary (proprietary) drivers;
- as in "have quality games out-of-the-box"? The Games SIG do its best
about this.

> Aside from the gamers aspect, what about a new GUI? dunno about you lot
> but i gotta say im getting REALLY sick of menu bars and windows. how
> bout a 3D interface? selectable themes of course, and maybe even some
> innovation taken from some outside sources? like for example, anime?
> ever seen serial experiments LAIN? no? oh well.
>
> 3D would BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF windows

Keep in mind Fedora is a general purpose operating system and a general
purpose desktop so it should work equally well in both games but general
desktop (browsing the web, reading email, doing office stuff, etc.)

Creating such a new interface is a kind of Holy Grail and whoever can
invent it may consider himself hitting the jackpot.
Try to cohesively write yourself a specification about such an interface
and if it is good enough you may get followers.

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
http://www.tatica.org
http://www.iseit.net