Re: Attempt to improve the Gnome Desktop (grid)

Mark wrote:
Hey,

i've been annoyed by the gnome desktop for quite some time now.
i just don't like it that there seems to be no order in it. it also
seems to be that there is simply no grid (right?) if there is than
it's a way to freely grid. it makes the desktop look messy.

Hi Mark,

I guess the snap to grid option which is provided on the GNOME desktop should do the same stuff, albeit, a little differently.

What could be provided in addition to the snap-2-grid option would be to highlight the grid.

I do like the option of text truncation. Especially useful, when the icons are close to each other and the text seems to overflow onto the image of the next icon.

Another thing that would be nice-2-have is that the icons be positioned relatively, as compared to being absolutely positioned. For example, the default desktop layout may be running at a 800x600 resolution in which the Trash icon is at left-bottom corner. Now I increase the resolution to say 1024x800, the trash-icon no longer holds the bottom-left position. Instead it is absolutely positioned, which means that it would be somewhere in the lower-middle half of the screen.

just my views.

thanks,
Rogue