Re: Icon howto?

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply :D

Some answers to your questions:

file formats - png for most icons, svg for scalable icons

sizes - 16x16, 22x22, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, the bigger you will probably
not need

I figure producing them as svg means I can just export to whatever
size I want? Only thing is, when I've exported icons I've already
created, or simply viewed them as svg (thumbnail previews) they
haven't looked as sharp as when I've produced them, instead looking
slightly blurred. Is there any reason why this is? (using inkscape)

Yes. You need to align them to the pixel grid. You can't simply draw it once and export it to whatever sizes... you have to align the artwork to the pixel grid for every size. Some references:

http://www.firewheeldesign.com/sparkplug/2006/April/icon_design_bitmap_vs_vector.php

http://mezzoblue.com/archives/2007/07/11/icon_design/

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Creating_Icons/

~m