Re: The New and Improved Art Team

Ben Arnold wrote:
On 24/02/07, Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do you really think having a centralized community is the best way to
go?

I do, a project needs a central point to act as a base for new members
to start from and for currently active to keep track of. It would
certainly make me feel more welcome and more organised if I were new
to fedorArt.

Sure a central point should exist, it may be a page in the wiki, it may be an aggregation of our blogs, it may be even a dedicate wiki or a picture gallery. But as I see, the work and the decision does not have to be centralized: if a sub-team work on, say, Echo icons, is any need for this team to get approvals for the leadership of the Art project for every step? I think the leader of the sub-team and the users of the work (the desktop team?) is enough to make a decision.

As this Artwork has to cover a bit of ground and some of the members
(such as myself) have only a little bit of time in their week to work
on it, this would mean a couple of people as contacts for a particular
division and would be able to concentrate on each other's work.

You know, for the time being we are not that many people. Yes, is rewarding (at the surface) to assign titles to our names, but as how we are now do you see a sub-team with more than 2-3 people in it?

Speak of the devil.

There has been an occaision [1] where outside requests have come in
ofr artists to contribute for an unrelated project:

* Outside Project Requests (kinda speaks for itself, if anyone feels
like a change, why not help these people in need?)

Because I think we should stay focused.
Of course, we can help external projects, but in my experience (based on how I did the new logo for GNU Solfege http://www.solfege.org/) a developer in need for new graphics go to a project working with graphics (in my case was openclipart.org) and ask for help, one or more people rely to him in private and then the development takes place on the appropriate channels (the mailing list / wiki / version control) of the external project.

--
nicu