Re: First observations

Hi John,

From: Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The font is a proprietary one, named Bryant2, is not possbile to redistribute it: http://www.processtypefoundry.com/typefaces/bryant2/index.html

I see the fedora logo is trade marked and there is a long list of legal
precautions attached as a result. Normally a trade marked logo is to be
presented without alterations although I did not find examples to be
used in new art work (?).

IMHO the intent of any open source project is to foster inclusion. In
the case of art work, encourage artistic submissions.

I find myself with the desire to help but I can't get started.
Here are the obstacles I see.

1) If bryant2 is the official fedora font, doesn't its $50 to $350 price
place an unfair burden on those who wish to contribute?

2) If I don't use the official font will I be at odds with the trade
mark or the community?

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

I kind of have to ask again, what exactly are you trying to do with the font? Because it's really hard to answer your questions without knowing what it is you are trying to do.

If you simply want to make Fedora logo artwork, you can go here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo#head-676bb5dfefa6e0f7c324dde85ebb11223186189c as I mentioned before and receive the vector artwork for the Fedora logo. From that you can create artwork incorporating the logo.

You *do not* need to pay a licensing fee on the font and you *do not* need the actual font as the licensing fee has already been paid for usage of the font in the fedora logo, and we provide the vector version of the logo so there is no need for art contributors to buy/use the bryant2 font.

You shouldn't modify the Fedora logo. So there's no need to have the font. You can just use the vector outlines that we provide.

Thanks,
~m