Re: Puplet icon != Bluecurve

Hi Joachim,

Joachim Frieben wrote:
I'm aware of this project. But this is still no reason to corrupt
"Bluecurve". Simply create a new icon theme consisting of old icons
("Bluecurve", etc.), give it a distinct name and use it as your playground.
In the same time, make sure that new applications are also provided with a
"Bluecurve" style icon, and-if you want-what you call a "revamped" Fedora
default theme one. Btw, in the cited case of the "yum" notifier applet, an
existing icon could be easily adapted to complete the "Bluecurve" theme.
Unless "Bluecurve" is officially abandoned by Red Hat, I see no reason not
to ensure a minimum maintenance work.

I can make Bluecurve-style icons for puplet as well. I did discuss this possibility with Jeremy Katz (the developer that checked the icons in ;-) ) and he said he preferred icons using the newer style which is why I provided those. Give me a couple days though and I'll make Bluecurve versions of those icons available as well, ok? I can't guarantee they'll make it in as the default icons though but I will try to find out what the options are here for folks who'd like to stick with Bluecurve.

As we are trying to focus on building a new icon theme, we'd like to try to get more community involvement in Bluecurve by those community members who are interested in it, which is why we've written up some Bluecurve icon guidelines for people to follow to create new icons [1], Andy and Nicu have done a bunch of work to clean up some of the Bluecurve source files [2], and we've tried to make the Bluecurve artwork more easily available and open up participation [3].

We've all tried to be very open about the decision to move to a new icon theme from Bluecurve and have been posting to this mailing list quite frequently asking for input all along. The only objections we faced were requests to move to Tango. We did receive a lot of requests to move away from Bluecurve because it's 'dated.'

If you'd like to help maintain Bluecurve please let us know as we could always use some more help! Even if you'd rather not or don't have the chops to work creating new artwork, we need help with things like building a system to catalog the icons (see https://www.redhat.com/archives//2006-May/msg00021.html) and cleaning up the SVG files.

The latest attempts to "revamp" the Fedora icon theme are plain horrible. I
don't care about this as long a "Bluecurve" remains intact and is maintained
to a minimum extent.
When I a look at my current notification area there is a brand-new
"gnome-power-manager" icon which is a blue fuzzy blob, and the new "puplet"
icon which looks like equally weird. This really breaks the "visual user
experience".

Please feel free to bring up any complaints you have about icons on the Fedora desktop either on this list or by filing a bug against the 'redhat-artwork' component here: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Red%20Hat%20Enterprise%20Linux

Attaching screenshots always helps as well, either to your mailing list post or to the bugzilla bug. :)

~m

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/BluecurveIconGuidelines
[2] http://people.redhat.com/duffy/icons/
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/BluecurveLibrary