Re: New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

Hi Charles,

From: Hugo Cisneiros <hugo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> So I suggested (and I'm bringing this discussion here) to extend the Logo
Guidelines to create Sub-Projects Logos, like for Fedora Extras, Fedora
Documentation, Fedora (Brazil), Fedora (France), and so on. The current
guidelines does not allow us to do this in a pretty way because of the "clear
space" rule. What do you think?

chasd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
No.
With identity management, there can be only One True Way. Variation is confusing and dilutes the identity as one other poster already mentioned.

Actually, this is *not* true with respect to what Hugo is suggesting. For example:

http://www.rpi.edu/dept/NewsComm/graphics/downloads/pdfs/toolkit.pdf

Look at pages 8 & 9 of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute brand book. A university is a large organization made up of many sub-organizations - schools, departments, research labs, etc. RPI's brand guidelines (as most universities' and large corporations') recognize that they must apply to many disparate sub-organizations that share the same 'brand' and have guidelines for incorparating the use of their logo for those sub-organizations.

This concept of 'sub-logo' guidelines actually not that uncommon in brand design, and it would be nice if such sub-logo guidelines could be specified for Fedora's logo. I think Hugo's idea is a great one. These guidelines could be used for Fedora groups in specific locations, as Hugo cited, and also for Fedora projects, e.g. "Fedora Documentation Team," "Fedora Marketing Team," etc.

Fwiw, I think Diana's banner for the wiki using the new logo is an excellent look for such a sub-logo [1]. I do understand that the 'sub-logo' logotype is the same as the 'fedora' logotype, which is proprietary and would make it costly for would-be contributors to design these logos for their sub-organizations. So perhaps the URW font (I don't remember the name offhand) could be used with the same treatment (maybe a bit lighter blue) that Diana used.

[1] http://people.redhat.com/dfong/flogo/newHeaders.htm

~m