Fedora Council elections coming soon!

Hello everyone! Very shortly, the Fedora Council will replace the
Fedora Project Board as Fedora’s top-level leadership and governance
body, with the particular aim of having more engaged and effective
whole-project coordination and planning.

A friend recently reminded me that the word “governance” is a great way
to make everyone’s eyes glaze over, and that “leadership” can be kind
of vague and empty-sounding. I can’t promise that there won’t be some
boring stuff (“With great power, comes… administration!”), but the
governance part means an opportunity to help decide where Fedora’s
project-level resources are used, and the leadership part means that
we’ll work with the community to identify specific important objectives
— and then empower community leaders to achieve each one.

The council structure <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Council> includes
meritocratic representative positions appointed by long-standed Fedora
bodies. The Fedora Engineering Steering Committee (FESCo) and Fedora
Ambassadors Steering Committee (FAmSCo) are working on selecting those
right now.

Additionally, after those appointments are made, we will hold elections
for two “at-large” representative seats. Any Fedora contributor is
eligible to run, and all are eligible to vote. Because the new Council
will be consensus-based rather than each seat being one vote out of
ten, each of these positions carries a lot of weight. Fedora is an
amazing collaborative community, and I’d like to ask all active members
to think about what you might be able to bring to such a role, and
about who you want to represent you.

(As we get closer, we’ll post a full election schedule and more
details. No action needs to be taken yet, although if you’re involved
in either the engineering or outreach aspects of the project, do please
help contribute to FESCo and FAmSCo’s selection of those
representatives.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>