Read about Minority Women's Health and more

Title: Read about Minority Women's Health and more
Office of Women's Health, FDA

April 2016
www.fda.gov/womens

Message from the Director

During the month of April, we take time to celebrate women of all cultural and linguistic backgrounds. It is important to recognize that each and every woman is different. At FDA we make diversity a priority. One way we celebrate diversity is by ensuring health messages are available in a variety of languages. I encourage you to view our publications in other languages and FDA’s Minority Health webpage. We hope that you will share the important product safety information, consumer resources, and meetings highlighted in this update so that women from diverse communities will benefit from FDA resources and activities.

Marsha Henderson - Assistant Commissioner for Women’s Health

Women's Health Highlights

FDA allows marketing of first-of-kind tissue containment system for use with certain laparoscopic power morcellators in select patients

medicine picture

FDA permitted the marketing of PneumoLiner, the first tissue containment system for use with certain laparoscopic power morcellators to isolate uterine tissue that is not suspected to contain cancer.

Although the device is an effective tissue containment system, the FDA is requiring the manufacturer to warn patients and health care providers that PneumoLiner has not been proven to reduce the risk of spreading cancer during these procedures.

Read the Press Release

Public Workshop on Lactation

OWH1

On April 27 and 28, 2016, FDA’s Division of Pediatric and Maternal Health will hold a public meeting on the evaluation of the safety of drugs and biological products used during lactation.

The purpose of this 2-day workshop is to provide a forum to discuss the current state and future directions of the collection of data on the potential risks to breastfed infants with maternal use of medications during lactation.

View the Meeting Announcement

Minority Women’s Health Twitter Chat: April 19

OWH2

Join FDA’s Office of Women’s Health (@FDAWomen), FDA’s Office of Minority Health (@FDAOMH) and FDA en Español (@FDAenEspanol) for a #FDAHealthChat on Twitter on April 19 from 1-2 p.m. EDT.

This bilingual chat will focus on tips minority women can use to live a healthier life. It will also highlight how to empower diverse women to take control of their health.

Extras

FDA and NIH Release a Draft Clinical Trial Protocol Template for Public Comment

The clinical trial protocol is a critical component of any medical product development program. NIH and FDA are seeking public comment on a new draft template for NIH funded investigators to use in writing protocols for phase 2 or 3 clinical trials that require Investigational New Drug application (IND) or Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) applications.  Researchers and other stakeholders are encouraged to submit comments through April 17, 2016.

Read the “FDA and NIH Release a Draft Clinical Trial Protocol Template for Public Comment” blog post

Submit Comments Online

Minority Health Month Resources

Look to FDA for resources to support your outreach to women of all diverse cultural backgrounds.

FDA Meetings

Streamlining Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) for Hearing Aids

April 21, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, FDA White Oak Campus

Joint Meeting of the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee and the Anesthetic and Analgesic Drug Products Advisory Committee Meeting Announcement

May 3-4, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, FDA White Oak Campus

OWH Conference Exhibits

Public Library Association Conference - April 5-9, Denver, CO

National Indian Health Board Tribal Public Health Summit - April 11-13, Atlanta, GA

Southern Women's Show - April 14-17, Nashville, TN

Annual Congress on Women's Health - April 14-17, Washington, DC

Association of Clinical Research Professionals - April 16-19, Atlanta, GA

National Hispanic Medical Association - April 21-25, Washington, DC

This email was sent to list-fda@xxxxxxxxxxx using GovDelivery, on behalf of: U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) · 10903 New Hampshire Ave · Silver Spring, MD 20993 · 1-888-INFO-FDA (1-888-463-6332) Powered by GovDelivery