FDA MedWatch - Tiger Paw System II by Maquet Medical Systems: Class I Recall - May Cause Tears and Bleeding in Heart Tissue

Title: FDA MedWatch - Tiger Paw System II by Maquet Medical Systems: Class I Recall - May Cause Tears and Bleeding in Heart Tissue
MedWatch logoMedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program

Tiger Paw System II by Maquet Medical Systems: Class I Recall - May Cause Tears and Bleeding in Heart Tissue

AUDIENCE: Cardiology, Risk Manager

ISSUE: FDA announced a Class I Recall of all lots of the Tiger Paw System II by Maquet Medical Systems. Incomplete closure of the TigerPaw System II may result in tissue tears and/or bleeding, including a possible tear on the left atrial wall (top left chamber) during use of the device. Maquet Medical Systems received 51 reports of adverse events and one death.

BACKGROUND: The TigerPaw II is a surgical staple used to close tissue in the left atrial appendage (LAA) of the heart.

The affected devices were distributed April 1, 2013 through March 23, 2015.

Maquet Medical Systems, on behalf of Laax, Inc., sent an “Urgent Medical Device Recall (Removal) Immediate Action Required” letter, dated March 30, 2015, to all affected customers.

RECOMMENDATION: Customers are instructed to:

Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

Read the MedWatch safety alert, including a link to the Recall Notice, at:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm446116.htm

This email was sent to list-fda@xxxxxxxxxxx using GovDelivery, on behalf of: U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) · 10903 New Hampshire Ave · Silver Spring, MD 20993 · 800-439-1420 Powered by GovDelivery