FDA MedWatch - DePuy Synthes Craniomaxillofacial Distraction System: Class I Recall - May Reverse Directions After Surgery

Title: FDA MedWatch - DePuy Synthes Craniomaxillofacial Distraction System: Class I Recall - May Reverse Directions After Surgery
MedWatch logoMedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program

DePuy Synthes Craniomaxillofacial Distraction System: Class I Recall - May Reverse Directions After Surgery

AUDIENCE: Orthopedics, Surgery, Risk Manager

ISSUE: FDA notified healthcare professionals of a Class I recall of the DePuy Synthes Craniomaxillofacial (CMF) Distraction System (AB Distractor Bodies and BC Distractor Bodies). Also called an External Mandibular Fixator And/Or Distractor and a Bone Plate. DePuy Synthes is recalling certain lots of the Craniomaxillofacial Distraction System because the device may reverse direction and lose the desired distraction distance after surgery.

There have been 15 reports of injury associated with the use of this device.

See the Recall Notice for a complete listing of affected products with part and lot numbers.

BACKGROUND: The DePuy Synthes Craniomaxillofacial (CMF) Distraction System is an implant used to lengthen and/or stabilize the lower jawbone (mandibular body) and the side of the lower jaw (ramus). This device is used in pediatric and adult patients to correct birth (congenital) or post-traumatic defects of the jaw by gradually lengthening the bone (distraction).

RECOMMENDATION: On April 16, 2014, DePuy Synthes sent an Urgent Notice to their customers. The notice identified the problem, affected products and tells customers to:

Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

Read the MedWatch safety alert, including a link to the firm Recall Notice, at:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm411891.htm

This email was sent to list-fda@xxxxxxxxxxx using GovDelivery, on behalf of: U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) · 10903 New Hampshire Ave · Silver Spring, MD 20993 · 800-439-1420 Powered by GovDelivery