Medicines in My Home Update - American Heart Month reminder: Ask your doctor before taking daily aspirin

Title: Medicines in My Home Update - American Heart Month reminder: Ask your doctor before taking daily aspirin

You are subscribed to Medicines in My Home for U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).

American Heart Month reminder: Ask your doctor before taking daily aspirin

If American Heart Month has you thinking about taking aspirin to lower your risk of heart attack and stroke, it’s important to know that only your health care provider can determine if doing so is safe for you. Taking aspirin daily can have side effects, and FDA created the Safe Daily Use of Aspirin Web page to help explain the benefits and risks. Get the facts by visiting the page and checking out the document Before Using Aspirin to Lower Your Risk of Heart Attack or Stroke, Here is What You Should Know.

Aspirin is commonly used to treat minor pain and fever, but regular use of it to lower the chance of a heart attack or stroke caused by a blood clot works only in certain people.  Studies show that it does not seem to work for this purpose in those who have not had a previous heart attack or stroke, or do not have disease of the blood vessels in the heart.  And daily aspirin use can be harmful, because the blood-thinning properties that may stop clots from forming also can cause unwanted side effects, including bleeding in the brain or stomach.

Along with the document, the Safe Daily Use of Aspirin Web page has other resources that explain about regular aspirin use. Visit the page to learn more and always talk to your health care provider about whether taking daily aspirin is right for you. It’s the safest thing to do.

You are subscribed to Medicines in My Home for U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). This information has recently been updated, and is now available.

.

This email was sent to list-fda@xxxxxxxxxxx using GovDelivery, on behalf of: U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) · 10903 New Hampshire Ave · Silver Spring, MD 20993 · 800-439-1420 Powered by GovDelivery