FDA MedWatch - St. Jude Medical, AMPLATZER TorqVue FX Delivery System: Class I Recall - Core Wire May Fracture

Title: FDA MedWatch - St. Jude Medical, AMPLATZER TorqVue FX Delivery System: Class I Recall - Core Wire May Fracture
MedWatch logoMedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program

St. Jude Medical, AMPLATZER TorqVue FX Delivery System: Class I Recall - Core Wire May Fracture

AUDIENCE: Risk Manager, Surgery, Cardiology

ISSUE: FDA notified healthcare professionals of a Class I recall of the St. Jude Medical, AMPLATZER TorqVue FX Delivery System. In a small number of cases, the distal end of the core wire of the TorqVue FX Delivery System could potentially fracture when exposed to a combination of certain cardiac anatomies and usage conditions.

This recall is for all batches and model numbers of the AMPLATZER TorqVue FX Delivery System. The affected product was manufactured August 24, 2012 to September 24, 2012 and distributed October 1, 2012 – January 9, 2013. See the Recall Notice for a listing of model numbers

BACKGROUND: The Amplatzer TorqVue FX Delivery System is used to assist the attachment, loading, delivery, and deployment of Amplatzer Occluder devices. Amplatzer Occluder devices are used to close openings between the two upper chambers of the heart.

RECOMMENDATION: On January 17, 2013, St. Jude Medical sent an “Urgent Medical Device Recall Notice” to their customers. The letter advised customers to stop using the device and remove it from their inventory. St. Jude Medical plans to have their sales representatives perform site visits to assist with recall activities, including completion of the product reconciliation form and return of any unused product.

Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

Read the MedWatch safety alert, including a link to the Recall Notice, at:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm339593.htm

This email was sent to list-fda@xxxxxxxxxxx using GovDelivery, on behalf of: U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) · 10903 New Hampshire Ave · Silver Spring, MD 20993 · 800-439-1420 Powered by GovDelivery