FDA MedWatch - GEM Premier 4000 PAK Cartridges for Use on the GEM Premier 4000 System: Class I Recall - Innaccurate Results

Title: FDA MedWatch - GEM Premier 4000 PAK Cartridges for Use on the GEM Premier 4000 System: Class I Recall - Innaccurate Results
MedWatch logoMedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program

GEM Premier 4000 PAK Cartridges for Use on the GEM Premier 4000 System: Class I Recall - Innaccurate Results

AUDIENCE: Laboratory, Critical Care Medicine

ISSUE: Potassium test results on the GEM Premier 4000 are too low when compared to a reference analyzer; with biases exceeding the allowable error claim of plus or minus 0.5 mmol/L by as much as 2.0 mmol/L. Use of this product may lead to inappropriate patient treatment and may cause serious adverse health consequences, including death. These products were manufactured and distributed from May, 2006 through July 2011.

BACKGROUND: The GEM Premier 4000 PAK cartridges are used on the GEM Premier 4000 portable critical care system by health care professionals to rapidly analyze whole blood samples at the point of health care delivery in a clinical setting and in a central laboratory.

RECOMMENDATION: Customers were directed to follow the instructions to disable the potassium test to eliminate the potential of erroneous result reporting. See the Class I recall notice for more information, including affected model/part numbers.

Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

Read the MedWatch safety alert, including a link to the FDA Class I Recall Notice, at:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm266113.htm

Tell us how we are doing:

http://survey.foreseeresults.com/survey/display?cid=d509U9xg0gZVxkMRcoMsQg==&sid=link&cpp[date]=08_01_2011_1016&cpp[type]=S

This email was sent to list-fda@xxxxxxxxxxx using GovDelivery, on behalf of: U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) · 10903 New Hampshire Ave · Silver Spring, MD 20993 · 800-439-1420 Powered by GovDelivery