FDA News Digest for August 13, 2007

FDA News Digest

August 13, 2007

IN THIS WEEK'S ISSUE

»  News

    --  FDA Approves New Type of Drug to Slow Advancement of HIV

»  Safety Alerts/Recalls

»  Help us improve the FDA Web site!

NEWS

FDA Approves New Type of Drug to Slow Advancement of HIV
FDA has approved Maraviroc, the first in a new class of drugs designed to slow the advancement of HIV in adult patients. Rather than fighting HIV inside white blood cells, Maraviroc prevents the virus from entering uninfected cells by blocking the predominant route of entry.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01677.html

To view an archive of past FDA news releases, go to

To access the RSS feed of FDA news releases, go to

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/rssPress.xml.

[What is an RSS feed? See http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/newsfeeds.html.]

SAFETY ALERTS/RECALLS

Safety Alerts:

›  FDA is warning consumers not to eat raw oysters from an area of the southern tip of Hood Canal in Washington after an outbreak of illness caused by a type of Vibrio bacteria.
›  FDA is warning consumers not to buy or eat three red yeast rice products promoted and sold online as dietary supplements for treating high cholesterol. FDA analysis showed the products contained an ingredient found in the prescription cholesterol drug Mevacor.

For a list of recalls, market withdrawals, and safety alerts involving FDA-regulated

products from the past 60 days, go to http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html.

To access the RSS feed of FDA recalls information, go to

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/rssRecalls.xml

[What is an RSS feed? See http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/newsfeeds.html.]

Help us improve the FDA Web site!

We are interested in your thoughts about the FDA Web site (www.fda.gov) so we can make improvements to the site.

In the coming months, we're planning some changes to the site, including a new look and a new navigation structure. To help design this  site, however, we need your help! We’d like to know what you like about the FDA Web site and what you don’t. Our goal is to ensure that the Web site is easy to use. Your feedback will help us improve the site so it is more logical for users like you.

If you are interested in providing your feedback on the FDA Web site, please contact us at FDAresearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at your earliest convenience.  Thanks!

Thanks for subscribing to FDA News Digest.

Our next issue will be sent August 20.

Comments about FDA News Digest?

Send an e-mail to fdanewsdigest@xxxxxxxxxv.

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this list, go to

http://list.nih.gov/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=fda-newsdigest-l&A=1.