U.S. Federal Aviation Administration Press Releases Update

Title: U.S. Federal Aviation Administration Press Releases Update

You are subscribed to page updates for U.S. Federal Aviation Administration. A new press release is now available. We've included a copy of the release in this email.

For Immediate Release
November 13, 2009
Contact: Laura Brown
Phone: (202) 267-3455

FAA Takes Steps to Ensure ‘No-Radio’ Flights are Properly Tracked and Reported

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is updating training and procedures for handling the loss of two-way communication with aircraft and how other agencies are notified, after a detailed review of air traffic contact with Northwest Airlines Flight 188 on October 21, 2009.

The FAA also has taken steps to ensure more accurate preliminary information about air traffic events can be provided to top officials more quickly.

“We work closely with other aviation partners every day to make sure we all have a common understanding of what’s happening in the sky,” said FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt. “Sharing information quickly is essential, and we’re making improvements to ensure all of our employees understand what to do and when to do it.”

The air traffic review determined that the FAA notified other agencies about the loss of radio contact with Northwest Flight 188 one hour and nine minutes after the last communication with the pilots. Eight minutes after the FAA informed other agencies via the Domestic Events Network teleconference line, air traffic controllers reestablished contact with the Northwest pilots.

The FAA expects to review changes in training and procedures by the end of January 2010 and to improve the incident notification process by the end of this month. The improvements are expected to:

###

You can view or update your subscriptions, password or email address at any time on your User Profile Page. All you will need are your email address and your password (if you have selected one).

This service is provided to you at no charge by the Federal Aviation Administration. Visit us on the web at www.faa.gov.