Re: [long] major problems on fs; e2fsck running out of memory

On 6/1/14, 9:43 PM, Keith Keller wrote:
> Hi Bodo and Ted,
>
> Thank you both for your responses; they confirm what I thought might be
> the case.  Knowing that I can try to proceed with your suggestions.  I
> do have some followup questions for you:
>

> On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 09:05:09PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>> Unfortunately, there has been a huge number of bug fixes for ext4's
>> online resize since 2.6.32 and 1.42.11.  It's quite possible that you
>> hit one of them.
>
> Would this scenario be explained by these bugs?  I'd expect that if a
> resize2fs failed, it would report a problem pretty quickly.  (But
> perhaps that's the nature of some of these bugs.)

Well, for what it's worth, there have been several resize fixes shipped
in RHEL6/Centos6, so it's not just vanilla 1.42.11 or 2.6.32.  But we walk
a fine line between too much churn and risk, and fixing the serious
problems, so it's possible that you hit an unfixed case.  I think it's fairly
hard to know without a reproducer.  Your corruption looks bad enough that
I tend to agree with Bodo - that it may be some more fundamental underlying
storage problem.

However, some semi-recent fixes, for example:

resize2fs: reserve all metadata blocks for flex_bg file systems

have yet to make it into RHEL6 (they will soon...)

-Eric