Re: more PO files available at the TP

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 09:20:11PM +0200, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

> At the translationproject there are four more languages available
> than are included in the 1.42.10 tarball: Danish, Esperanto, Malay,
> and Ukrainian.  Please include these in your next release.

I deliberately didn't include some of these because the number of
translated messages were pathetic.

Danish has 139 messages translated out of 1305.

Malay for a long time had 72 messages translated; it's now up 235
messages out 1305.

Eperanto has gotten better; it's now up to 499 / 1305.

Ukranian is pretty new, but it's actually in pretty good shape; 1055 /
1305.

It seems to me that if a message catalog has only 5% of the messages
translated, including them is very likely to result in a poorer user
experience than if everything was left in English.

> Attached patch adds the missing language codes to the po/LINGUAS
> file.  The easiest way to fetch the missing files (and the latest
> updates) is to run:
>
>   rsync -Lrtvz  translationproject.org::tp/latest/e2fsprogs/  po

I actually use a script to pull down the changes:

#!/bin/bash
#
# git-tp-sync - downloads the latest PO files from translationproject.org
#               and commits changes to your GIT repository.
#
# Features:
#             - commit per PO file (no more huge commits for all .po files)
#             - the commit "Author:" field is set from the Last-Translator
#
#
# Copyright (C) 2007 Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
#

what I generally do is take a look at the new translations, and if
they look OK, I'll add them to the repository.  I admit that I didn't
look at the Ukarian translation when it first showed up because my
experience has been that nearly all of the translation files had a
vanishly small percentage of the messages translated, and I had
assumed the Ukranian translation would follow the same sad pattern.

Cheers,

	   	   	      	       	  - Ted