Re: Journal abortion in ext3 and its relation with remounting

On 01/21/2013 10:18 AM, shubham wrote:
I have RHEL-5.8 installed server.

Due to some inconsistent read write operation, ext3 journal got corrupted and aborted but filesystem was not remounted read only. In my understanding when there is ext3 journal has some corruption then it should mount the filesystem read only .
So, I want to know in what cases this will not happen.

For unlinked inodes, I want to know the logic of handling unlinked inodes in filesystem.

For an ex:
- Situation where unlinked inode will be found.
- How ext3 identifies unlinked inode ?
- What ext3 does when it sees an unlinked inode.

Regards
Shubham

Hi Shubham,

If you are a Red Hat customer, you can always contact Red Hat Support. Upstream lists can be helpful with ext3 in general, but we carry a lot of backports in RHEL kernels that most upstream focused developers don't usually have to pay attention to.

Best regards,

Ric