Re: extcarve - ext2,ext3,ext4 file carving tool

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since ext3/4 work hard to allocate file blocks contiguously, it makes sense to
assume that after the header blocks the file blocks will be present.  While
this is less likely to be true as the file size increases, for ext4 it is
usually true for files smaller than a few MB, which is many of them.

Thanks for the clarification. On ext4,I believe an extent can address upto 128MB.  So I assume, for a file of size 50MB ,there is possibility this will be stored contiguously. Is that correct assumption? and  If we  mounted ext3 as ext4, will the inode become extent based rather than the old direct/indirect block accessing method?

Cheers, Andreas

--
----
Cheers,