Re: Increase EXT3 format speed.

--On 28 February 2011 08:25:03 -0700 Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You can speed up mke2fs by reducing the inode count (-i or -N) if your
average file size is over 8kB, reduce the journal size (-J size=4) and/or
use the lazy_journal_init patch I posted recently, and/or use the
lazy_itable_init option. I assume since format performance is important
that you do it often and the risk of an uninitialized inode table is low.

Or, you could use ext4, which is also faster at runtime, not just format
time.

If you are doing this a lot, another alternative is to format a sparse file,
keep this between formats, and copy the sparse file on.

There are plenty of utilities to do that, including one here:
 http://blog.alex.org.uk/2010/12/02/copying-sparse-files/

If you are quite sure your USB device is completely blank (i.e.
all sectors zero), run with -n, in which case it will only write
the non-zero sectors and read nothing. If you are not completely sure
your USB device is blank, don't run with -n, and discover that this will be
probably be slower than a straight format as it will have to read every
sector.

--
Alex Bligh