Re: SQLite and ext3 journalling mode

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Ric Wheeler <ricwheeler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/08/2010 06:52 AM, Dan Kennedy wrote:

Thanks. But to be clear, is data="" better than data=""> wrt. data integrity following a power failure?

Regards,
Dan.

Data integrity can mean a couple of different things.

If you are file system meta-data centric (i.e., a file system developer or just worried about having to run fsck after a crash to repair the file system), then both options *should* be equivalent.

If you are one of those annoying users who define data integrity to include those annoying details like will my file have garbage in it after a crash that will make my DB or other app puke, then data ordered is clearly more robust.

Thanks, Ric.  Yes, we are numbered among the "annoying users".  Based on what you are telling us, we'll recommend that people use data="" barrier=1 for maximum data reliability in the face of power loss.

Note that most distributions (including RHEL) support & focus testing only ordered mode....

Hope this helps :)

Ric

D. Richard Hipp
drh@xxxxxxxxxx