Re: Inode 196617 has imagic flag set

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 02:20:24PM +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:

> Can I set the UUID value, with some descriptive text,(something like
> a long label name), or is the UUID only system generated?

The UUID is a Universally Unique ID; it is a 128-byte number,
constructed using the rules specified by RFC 4122.  See:

	    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4122.txt

You can set the UUID to something else, although the only way I
suggest people make use of this functionality to use "tune2fs -U
random" after doing an image copy of a file system.  The whole point
of a UUID is that it should be universally unique, and humans are
notoriously bad at picking ID's that are truly unqiue.

> The first link in the list is interesting :)
>
> I think the reason the USB has SO MANY errors on the FS is because I
> possibly unplugged it, before umounting it!
>
> I understand that the umount command flushes any disk I/O buffers
> back to the drive?

Correct; I'd do a sync after the umount just to be absolutely sure,
though.  IIRC the umount doesn't wait until the USB stick has
acknowledged that it is done writing everything to flash.

	     	       	     	 	- Ted